Self-Care Tips for Empathetic People
There’s so much going on in the world now it seems - so many devastating events that affect us even if we are not directly affected. As an empath, I often find myself experiencing heightened emotions and feelings in response to these events, compared to many of my peers.
I’ve learned, and am still learning, how easily I absorb what’s going on around me and how it affects me. I have to remind myself that sometimes the feelings I’m feeling aren’t my own and that I need to do things to clear my energy regularly. Things like meditation and visualisations, walks in nature and salt baths. But it’s actually doing the actions when I’m in the moment of feeling low which can sometimes be hard.
Can you relate? Are you an empath?
As an empath you may have been described as overly sensitive.
- You often feel things more than others and can pick up on the feelings and emotions of others as if they were your own
- Your energy levels can go up and down depending on what’s going on around you, or in accordance with the moon cycles and yearly seasons
- You can often sense what a person is like without even knowing them
- You find it difficult to say no to others and may find you put others’ needs before your own
- You may find it easy to overeat – as you use food to help ground you, or build you up when you feel low and aren’t even sure why
- The news easily affects you and you can feel sad, frustrated or angry at the state of the world
- You’re generally quite introverted and need time alone to recharge
- You feel at your best in nature and/or with a few close friends with whom you can fully be yourself
As an empath, self-care is so important as it helps with energy levels, not feeling so drained, respecting boundaries, learning to do what’s best for your body, mind and soul – and so much more!
With this in mind I’ve put together a free 7-day self-care challenge for empaths, which includes a daily email with some self-care love, guidance, ideas, journaling prompts and other resources which will hopefully help you with your self-care as an empath. You can sign up here: http://bit.ly/empathselfcarechallenge