Michele Burden Psychodynamic psychotherapist , RG10
My main interest is to facilitate people in gaining a greater understanding of why they feel the way they do and I see each person as an individual with their own story and I will adapt my psychotherapeutic approach to the needs of the individual I am seeing. I am interested in helping people to explore their difficulties and to find ways forwards. I work as a psychodynamic psychotherapist where we explore how past experiences continue to impact on current issues and allow the client to move forwards and make positive changes by facilitating them in understanding their life experiences or as an Interpersonal Psychotherapist and Supervisor which is a NICE approved therapy for depression. This therapy known as IPT is a form of psychotherapy that focuses on you and your relationships with other people. It's based on the idea that personal relationships are at the centre of psychological problems. This therapy places an emphasis on the here and now issues in relationships.
I am a psychotherapist with over eighteen years experience in private practice in the Reading area. I am registered with the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP).
• In addition, I am a member of both the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the Universities Psychotherapy and Counselling Association (UPCA) and abide by the professional code of ethics of these bodies.
• I have a wide variety of experience having over twenty five years experience of working as a therapist in the NHS and I'm currently employed as a Senior Psychotherapist in NHS Psychological Services Department. I have also worked as a Senior Counsellor in GP surgeries.
• As well as practicing as a therapist I have been involved in the training and supervision of counsellors on BACP-accredited courses for over twenty years. I taught on a BACP-accredited MA in Counselling at the University of Reading for over eight years.
• Prior to practicing as a psychotherapist I worked as both a general nurse (RGN) and a psychiatric nurse (RMN). I went on to train nurses at a London Teaching Hospital.
My particular interests are in depression, relationship issues, eating difficulties and personality disorder.
As well as working with individuals I also work with couples.
Training and qualifications
• Masters Degree in Group Psychotherapy - Goldsmiths College, University of London
• Postgraduate Diploma in Group Psychotherapy - Goldsmiths College, University of London
• Post Graduate Certificate in Clinical Supervision - University of Oxford.
• BA(Hons) Social Science (Psychology) - University of Middlesex
My other professional training includes:
• Certificate in Interpersonal Psychotherapy Training - Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust
• Certificate in Couple Counselling - Berkshire Counselling Centre (WPF affiliated)
• Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Skills - facilitated by Oxford Centre for Cognitive Therapy
• Introduction to Family Systems Work - St George's Hospital, London
My fees are £50 per 50 minute session.
Integrative Interpersonal Psychodynamic Couples therapy Relational Group analysis Issues often worked with:
AnxietyCouple relationshipsDepressionEating disordersInterpersonal relationshipsPersonality disordersPostnatal depressionTraumaBereavementSocial anxietySocial communication Availability:
Has availability Therapy offered:
In personBy phoneOn video Client groups:
AdultCouples Member organisations:
44 New Road, Twyford
I am able to offer online sessions and happy to discuss this.