Ian BakerPsychosynthesis psychotherapist
If you are struggling with symptoms like depression, anxiety, relationship issues, stress, panic and sadness then I may be able to help. We all face difficulties and many of these issues at some points in our lives. But sometimes they can feel overwhelming and can keep us stuck, or make us feel that we are not coping or managing. Seeking help is acknowledgement of this and a first step towards helping you develop the self knowledge, skills and new ways of managing to overcome these difficulties. My aim is that together we can increase your feeling of wellbeing, which can include:
- Having a confidential safer space to share your deepest concerns
- Feeling deeply listened to and supported
- Better understanding of the symptoms you experience and why they may have developed
- Developing skills and tools to manage difficult feelings, thoughts and body sensations
- More able to live in the here and now rather than through the legacy of your past experiences
- Knowing, understanding and managing different aspects of your personality
- Knowing and developing a stronger sense of who you feel you really are
- Clearer purpose and direction in life
- More confidence and self-esteem
- Better able to be in relationship with yourself and others around you
- Being more resilient and able to cope with life’s difficulties and their effects
I practice as a counsellor and UKCP registered psychotherapist in Crystal Palace, which is also easily accessible from Gipsy Hill, Thornton Heath, Dulwich, West Norwood, Sydenham and south London.
How I Work
I offer a confidential space for you to explore and understand difficult feelings and thoughts without being judged. This space is just for you and over time can feel safe enough to really share your deepest concerns and issues. Each session will last an hour and we will see each other weekly at a time we agree that is convenient for us both. This then becomes your regular slot. During the current Coronavirus pandemic I am offering all sessions online.
The work will involve you talking, and me listening, asking questions and reflecting back to you what I hear and how I experience you. I will sometimes provide education on different psychological concepts that might help, as well as work with you to develop skills to help manage troubling emotions, thoughts and body sensations. Sometimes I will invite you to use other creative approaches like visualisation or drawing, if you would find that helpful.
Issues often worked with
Types of therapy
I charge the following fees for each one hour session, including initial assessments:
Crystal Palace £60
Training and qualifications
To support you achieve better wellbeing I use a range of approaches. My original training from 2006 was in psychosynthesis psychotherapy, in which I have a diploma and MA. I have since added knowledge and skills in attachment theory, sensorimotor and trauma-informed therapy. I am a full clinical member of the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP). But the most important aspect of our work together will be whether you feel I am someone you would like to work with and are able, over time, so share your deepest concerns with.