Alison Reed RichardsIntegrative counsellor
Life can feel very difficult, painful and confusing at times; my belief is we each have within ourselves the capacity to make sense of our experiences and emotional responses and so bring about positive change - what we need is the kind of environment which enables us to do that. I offer a warm, accepting, supportive relationship within which to rediscover, nurture and encourage that seed within. In providing a supported space - set apart from the routine of life - I offer the opportunity to explore and reflect upon whatever (past, present or future) is causing you anxiety or concern working together to bring about the change you desire.
I have experience working with both young adults (16+) and adult individuals and couples in areas which include, amongst others, low self esteem, anxiety, depression, bereavement and loss (including the hidden loss of early miscarriage, abortion, the end of an affair), overwhelming confusion, emotional & sexual abuse and its impact on our present day living, relationship issues, spirituality & life purpose. I work integratively meaning I use my knowledge and understanding of various therapeutic models to work in a way which best suits you.
Essentially a Talking therapy not everyone finds talking easy; it can be hard to find the words to express how we feel. In such instances we can explore alternative ways of finding expression - drawing, imagery, dreams, paying attention to our physical tensions and habitual gestures, visualisation, fairy tales, toys, natural objects. My aim is to treat you with respect and consideration holding all things gently and confidentially with the firm belief you will begin again to experience life in all its fullness.
My previous work as a volunteer counsellor with the Bereavement Support Team at St. Margaret's Hospice, and as an Associate Counsellor with a Taunton Agency providing affordable person-centred counselling, has brought me into contact with people from all walks of life; this broad experience informing my private practice. My supervisory work includes working with experienced & trainee counsellors, and individuals from other helping professions (for example, palliative care nurses, teachers, clergy & support workers).
OnlineI also provide my services online.
Issues often worked with
Initial Appointment (to meet, outline your difficulty, explore and agree how we might best work together):
Individuals £20 & Couples £30
Fees per session (50 -60 minutes) thereafter:
Individuals £40 - £50 & Couples £60 - £80
Concessions are possible for students, unemployed, low waged, trainee counsellors. Please enquire when making first contact.
Training and qualifications
- MA (Oxon)
- BA (Oxon)
- Higher Diploma In Counselling Practice
- NFCE Level 2 Certificate in Mental Health Awareness
- Clinical Supervision Training (St. Margaret's Hospice)
- Certificate in Supervision (NCS Advanced Specialist Course)
- OU/BACP Level 2 Counselling On-line
- Supporting People in Loss, Grief & Bereavement
- Counselling With Spirituality
- Couples Counselling Skills
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- other training includes: Domestic Abuse, Working with the Inner Child, Body-centred Mindfulness, Healing the Trauma of Sexual Abuse, Loss & Significant Change, Love & Fear in Supervision, Working with Spirituality in the Consulting Room, Working with Distress: suicide & self harm, Working with Shame, Mental Health & The Body: treating trauma, Supporting Adults who experienced Childhood Sexual Abuse