Adam Crowther Gestalt counsellor , BN3
I am here for you if you are going through something that's difficult, confusing or unbearable. Whatever you're grappling with, no matter how dark or hopeless it feels, bring it to the safety of our therapy room and together we'll find a way forward for you. Contemplating counselling can be scary and unknown, particularly if you're fragile, and I will support you through this. I'll be there at your side as we create a reliable moment in your week for you to meet the challenge of change at your own pace.
Reaching out for support is one of the best things you can do when you're struggling, whether or not you know what feels wrong in your life. Therapy with me is a space to simply be: to slow down, feel safe, and expand your awareness of what you're experiencing so that you can find a way through it. It is also a place to experiment, take risks, and even be rebellious: by trying out different ways of thinking, being, relating to others and responding to events. You might discover parts of yourself that you couldn't see before, like the roots of a tree, allowing you to realise your freedom to be adaptive in a changing world.
I am a BACP-registered, qualified humanistic therapist providing 1:1 short-term counselling or long-term psychotherapy. I focus on the Gestalt approach to therapy, an exciting approach which explores your here-and-now experience and can help you creatively manage a decision, event or crisis, or explore deeper aspects of yourself and your relationships. It is informal, experimental, honest, playful and sometimes challenging. This therapy is relational and experiential, meaning that much of your growth will come about through experiencing yourself in new and different ways in your therapeutic relationship with me.
Among other things, Gestalt therapy explores:
- how you notice and meet your needs, or ignore them to protect yourself
- blocks to fully experiencing and accepting yourself
- how to develop more playful responses to life's events
- your flexibility to be many different, sometimes contradictory things (strong and vulnerable, serious and funny, solitary and sociable)
- unfinished business or being "stuck" in the past
- relationship patterns and how unhealthy ones can be sustained by both parties
My pronouns are he/him and I identify as LGBTQ+. I have worked as a therapist with clients from the LGBTQ+ community for a number of years. I myself identify as part of the LGBTQ+ community. I previously did mental health research exploring how we know whether people benefit from therapy, the stories people tell about their lives, and the Recovery Approach. I have delivered psycho-educational groups on "shame", supported older people in their homes, and worked with people with a wide range of diagnoses, including eating disorders, borderline personality disorder, depression, anxiety, and psychosis.
Training and qualifications
Degrees and certificates:
- PGDip Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counselling – University of Brighton
- MSc Experimental Psychology – University of Sussex
- Cognitive Remediation Therapy Qualification – King's College London
- Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Studies – Counselling & Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body
- Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills – Counselling & Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body
- BA (Hons) Classics – University of Oxford
- Gender, Sexuality & Relationship Diversity (GSRD)
- LGBTQ+ affirmative practice
- Suicide intervention (ASIST and SafeTALK)
- Working at Relational Depth
- Working Therapeutically with Sand Trays
- Prevention and Management of Violence and Aggression
- Peer Mentoring & Personal Development
£40 per session (50 minutes)
Reduced-cost slots may be available for students or those who are unemployed or on low income.
Existential Gestalt Person-centred/humanistic Issues often worked with:
AnxietyBereavementDepressionGender identityInterpersonal relationshipsSexuality issuesCouple relationshipsSexual/physical abuse Availability:
Has availability Therapy offered:
In person Client groups:
Individuals Member organisations:
I also work from two other locations: central Brighton (BN2) and Fiveways (BN1).