Gill Sweeting Integrative psychotherapist , SK17
As an established psychotherapist working privately in Buxton, I have taken my practice online during these times of social distancing, so that I can continue to help my clients with complex issues and challenges. I am a gentle, caring and intelligent professional who uses approaches that are best suited to your personality and particular needs. I will work with you so that you can safely explore your issues from a private space within your own home. I will listen to you, understand you, and be there for you while you develop your own solutions. For more deep-seated issues, I will help you to discover the source of your problems, and support you through the choices and changes that you can make to heal old hurts and live a more fulfilled life.
One of my specialisms is psychosexual therapy. This means I am knowledgeable, able and comfortable to work with your issues to do with sex and also with the effects of other issues (such as childhood abuse, cancer treatment, relationship, menopause, self-esteem, suppressed sexual identity) on your sex life.
Other areas of experience include working with:
- Coping with the effects of cancer (and treatment) and other life threatening illness: patient and family.
- Life transitions, e.g. becoming a parent, relocation, divorce, separation, redundancy, retirement.
- Unbearable loss, e.g. complicated bereavement from suicide, loss of a child, anticipatory grief.
- Destructive behaviour patterns, e.g. sexual compulsivity, anger issues, alcohol issues.
- Lack of purpose in life, e.g. exploring meaning, reviewing career choices.
- Losing touch with a sense of self, exploring identity - don't know who you are any more?
- Unexplained physical ailments - "it's all in the mind" - what does that mean?
My previous experience includes:
Lecturer in Counselling at University of Derby.
Lead Counsellor at Blythe House Hospice in Derbyshire.
Counsellor at St. Luke's Hospice in Sheffield, North Derbyshire Alcohol Advice Service and Women's Aid.
Training and qualifications
Honours degree in psychology from University of Newcastle Upon Tyne.
Diploma in integrative psychotherapeutic practice from Elan Training.
Professional Graduate Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector from the University of Derby.
Postgraduate Certificate in Counselling Supervision from York St John University.
Diploma in Integrative Psychosexual Therapy from the Centre for Psychosexual Health.
BACP Accredited Counsellor/Psychotherapist.
COSRT registered psychosexual psychotherapist.
UKRCP Registered Independent Counsellor/Psychotherapist.
I charge £45 for a 1 hour session.
Integrative Transactional analysis Sex therapy Relational Couples therapy Person-centred/humanistic Issues often worked with:
BereavementCouple relationshipsDepressionSexual problemsSexual abuseSexualityAffairs/betrayalsFinding meaningIntimacyMarriageMenopauseSelf-esteem Availability:
Has availability Therapy offered:
In personBy phoneOn video Client groups:
AdultCouplesAdolescents Member organisations:
Psychotherapist and Supervisor