Hello, I'm Claire, welcome to my profile. I offer counselling and therapy in Nottingham and Leicester. My professional focus is on helping you to make change, gain new insights on yourself and others, and to develop a greater sense of psychological wellbeing.
What to expect from Counselling:
Counselling aims to enhance and develop your sense of wellbeing in order make the life changes you are looking for. Problems are a part of life for all of us, but sometimes they may feel particularly difficult to manage and we might feel overwhelmed. Counselling involves working with an unbiased and qualified professional in a safe, predictable, and confidential environment, typically (but not always) weekly, for an agreed period of time.
Counselling is an effective process but it also may feel challenging at times in order to facilitate your growth. Therefore commitment and work is needed in order to achieve your goals. Some clients may want to work on one specific problem over a short period of time, whilst others may want to engage with longer term work.
How I work:
My therapy approach is integrative. What that means is that I consider the importance of all parts of the self in order to achieve a sense of wholeness and integration. I draw on a variety of approaches and am mindful of how thoughts, feelings, and behaviour may or may not be congruent with each other. I consider the importance of both the mind and body, and how our physiology might impact us in our everyday lives.
My view is that all of us experience and take in messages from others over our lives and that we have our own way of reacting to these. These messages might be explicit or implicit and might come from our parents, peers, siblings, larger family, from society as a whole, or from our culture. Sometimes the messages we take in are supportive and helpful, but other times they may not support our current needs and identity. I often take an interest in the use of the word 'should' and am curious as to its origin.
I work actively and flexibly according to your working needs, personal style, and our unique collaborative working relationship. I am very open to working creatively and with metaphor and symbolism, as sometimes it is difficult to put our feelings into a clear narrative. However, as a focus of our work would be to support your personal empowerment, I am not an advice giver. Instead, I will offer suggestions and feedback that we can explore collaboratively and consider their meaning and impact for you. I would normally see clients weekly: same time, same place for an agreed period of time. However, I am open to you having sessions less often, depending on practicalities and if it feels appropriate.
One of my core working beliefs is that everyone has the capacity to grow and change if we are given safe enough challenges, space, time, and circumstances that work for us. I am very open-minded, I have an empathic, warm, and creative style, I am not easily phased, and I place importance on the therapeutic relationship, its predictabilty, safety, and containment.
Training and qualifications
- Certificate of Higher Education in Counselling (Cert. Couns) (University of Leicester)
- BSc. (Hons) Psychology (University College London)
- Postgraduate Certificate of Higher Education (PGCHE) (Nottingham Trent University)
- Ph.D in Psychology (University of Leicester) leading to C.Psychol, AFBPsS (Chartered Member and Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society)
- Clinical Diploma in Integrative Psychodynamic Counselling (Clin.Dip) (Metanoia Institute, London) leading to MBACP.
I am a qualified Counsellor registered by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (Registered Member MBACP). I have a Postgraduate Clinical Diploma in Integrative Psychodynamic Counselling (Clin.Dip) from the Metanoia Institute in London. I have completed shorter courses in psychodynamic counselling, transactional analysis, assessments and safeguarding, working with LGBT clients, sexual and gender diversity, attachment in clinical settings, the role of functional anger, and motivational interviewing. I have some specialist experience working with HIV positive clients. I am currently in the last stages of completing an MSc in Integrative Psychotherapy at the Metanoia Institute (West London).
Related experience includes a qualification in higher education teaching (PGCHE), I am a BPS registered psychological test user, and have a PhD in Psychology, which led to my Chartership and Associate Fellowship as a Research and Teaching Psychologist (Chartered by the British Psychological Society). I have many years’ experience of teaching and training psychology and mental health and previously worked as a University Lecturer and Tutor. Alongside my practice, I remain affiliated with a university in the East Midlands, and work as an independent psychology trainer. I currently work as a counsellor for a HIV charity in Nottingham and I also volunteer and assess part-time at a counselling centre in Leicester. I have some experience of working in psychiatric environments.
I am insured, have had full / enhanced DBS checks, and have regular clinical supervision. I have experienced counselling myself as a client for several years as part of my training and can therefore appreciate and am very familiar with the process from both positions. As a clinician, I am a member of and work within the ethical framework of the BACP.
- I work in both Leicester and Nottingham. My practice in Leicester runs on Thursday and my practice in Nottingham runs mainly on Wednesdays.
- A first initial session is free of charge, and provides you with the opportunity to get a sense of how I work, to ask questions, and for us to decide if we feel comfortable working with each other. Having an initial session in no way obligates you to continue seeing me.
- My fees for individual counselling are £50 per session.
- Fees are payable by cash before / at the start of the session.
- Bank transfers can be arranged for blocks of sessions.
- I am willing to negotiate a 10% discount on all rates if sessions are booked in blocks of 4 and paid in advance.
- For counselling diploma trainees and low income groups (£10,000 or under) I have a limited amount of places for a concessionary rate of £30 per session.
Important: I need 48 hours notice for any appointment you cancel please, otherwise I will need to charge you the usual fee for the missed session, payable at the following session.